Thursday, January 22, 2009

Single Speed Build Pt. 1

Good Morning Everyone,
I recently decided that I need another single speed. I also thought it would be fun to step you through the build. I have skipped the first couple steps. I tore the bike down to the frame, and since I am using new parts it was pretty much a "tear it off!" tear down.

Here is the frame that is being used:

It is an old steel Gitane. I got it with no fork but I have a couple steel forks laying around the basement to use. It is a lugged frame so the plan is to strip it down to bare metal and repaint it. I will probably do lugs one color and tubing another. Not sure if I will put bands on it yet.

Another part of this build that I think should be showcased is the hubs:They are Campy Neuvo Tipo hubs from around 1970. They were polished by Joe Stiller. He did a great job. The guy can detail. I plan on lacing those to a pair of Velocity Deep V rims. I think I am going to do a twisted spoke lacing.

I have compiled a tentative parts list and will keep you updated on my progress. I am guessing the next step will either be the frame painting or the wheel building, depending on how I decide to strip the frame.

On a side note, we had 17 riders at our spin session last night. That is really exciting and much more motivating than riding at home. Hopefully it continues to grow.

Thanks all,
Jason

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You can build a Single Speed for bike. I admire you so much! Can you teach me? I'm Jon Tomas

    ReplyDelete